Day Thirty One: Securing My Future (Talent)

No Comments


I consider talent as a natural gift since we were born, how we can differ from other, having a competitive gain which separates me from others. Talent is unique, everyone should have at least one, some earn more than one which obviously called multi-talent but how this can affect my decision making to my future career, what it has to offer and how do I use it wisely and efficiently so it can bring a positive way in my life and what quality of talent do I have? To answer all the question I need to reflect myself using my old approach, by turning back time to the time I was born so in specific condition the talent may spark, and right now I will catch it!.

For this experiment, the collection of data is not just coming from my personal experience but also, I asked my closest relatives and friends, at least, ten of them. The way I treated them could be a reflection for me to understand myself as they taking directly my treatment and the way my talent affect to them, to our surrounding, which sometimes I missed it.

In my childhood, I used to play alone, my dad was busy and always come back late while my mom also needs to work in her store. Most of my time spent with a caregiver, whom my parent pay her to stay with us to taking care of me. I could not remember clearly since it has been a long time but one thing that I remembered is I can be busy playing alone, fantasizing stuff around me to be what I think in my head. I could say that I am a dreamer, narrate an impromptu story from the middle of nowhere.

I think I have a serious issue related to it and this could be whether bad or good depending on how I think about it. That is a clear sign that I was born with good imagination and high creativity while in the other part this trait also has its own weakness, I hardly pay attention to what is real, causing many problems to my focus on study, since focusing on the study material requires consistent concentration and memorization. This is the reason behind my low marks on specific subjects regardless I have high IQ in average.

My imagination knocks at the random time, there is no exception to hold it since it comes from my head. It could ignite under purpose too but there should have a strong reason behind it, it comes when I caught in conflict with a person which occurs rarely honestly, my mind popped fight dialogues in my version and this could take more than an hour since the story will expand to somewhere else or when I have done something terrible and another dialogue popped in my head or at the time I could not help someone.

There is one secret of my life and I think this is the pinnacle of my imagination play, and because of this I can play with my mind for a long time, some of the good stories in my mind could be continued anytime and keep in my memory for a long time. The reason is because I have imaginary friend formed from my mind, its characters and traits of my preference. My favorite object to make me easier to visualize my imaginary friend is my pillow since its shape resembles a human.

Well, you don't need to afraid since there is no correlation with a mental disorder. It just my own personal method to escape from reality especially during my energy depleted. In other ways, fantasizing your own story may enhance your thinking in a different way. It is fun too but takes much time.

My academic score falling behind so it is hard to decide what is my strong subject that can relate to my passion as I remembered that I hate school. My classmate mostly assumed that I just weird. My jokes are not generally acceptable and my selection of topic during conversation is limited to what I like, I hate politics and drama in class, I never had a girlfriend even though I try to get one since I was bad in communication. All of them make my youth time sounds miserable.

This is what I regret most so now I am still searching what is my calling while someone else already chase them. I spent rest of my youth in video games and football. Imagine if someone wake up from his bed, went to school, do not join any clubs there, playing football till the school gate is about to close, continued with playing video and computer games then go to bed. If I summed up, what I spent all my year in middle high school just football and video game. I never study except at school and this the reason of why my grade always below standard.

Right until high school, one of my dad's friend introduce me to the teenage community of a church and my life is getting better, where else can you find a circle that is filled with reasonably positive attitude people, have many volunteer options to try and a reminder to keep you close to God. There was many volunteers vacancy I could try starting from still some of them require a background too such as music department. The options ranging from the multimedia department which manages the media (video, flyer design, projector), dance department which worships through dancing, prayer team for the generation and blessing, decoration team, public relation department and the last one, music department.

By given some options, I try the multimedia team voluntarily and it was exciting, I discover the field that I love to do, designing the flyer and creating a video with my team. My mental health is getting better and I feel accepted here until the time, in my third year, my mind has grown and think to leave the team, just because I got bored and my spirit to serve in church declined for no reason, makes me rarely to attend pray time. It went worse, and I dragging myself to apart from the community.

My leader in multimedia department pointed me to create a video for the annual retreat and since I had not worked with video for some period of time, I fail to make it on time. The leader told me the deadline is due and that is okay if I am not finished yet, as long as the promotion could be published in this week. Then the publication went sour, I forget to check the brightness of the video and the video is too dark in the projector. This experience makes me want to leave the community, I show up rarely to church and if the leader ever asked, I replied that I was busy with my exam.

There was education event to study abroad in my city and I have the opportunity to attend. The stand that I was looking for is either an IT major or design major. I don't have any intention to look at different major since I am not interested. After the event end, I went back home and have a conversation with my dad. He knows well the challenge of working in IT industry that is mentally demanding and time-consuming, you also need to have a strong problem-solving skill and quick reaction. He sees that I lack the attributes to work in IT industry and the competition between IT companies is fierce.

Later I talked about design major and I want to be focusing on animation. Another disapproval came from his mouth saying that it will not pay the bill. The chance of success in this field is small and he doesn't see as I have the ability to create a decent piece of art. In that time I gave up, I planned to work right after I finish my high school for any position available and end up becoming a salesman in a local stock-trading company, and only worked there for three days. My dad told me that I gave you a chance to learn the company works and as he expected that the company used high school graduates channel to gain their prospective customers.

I desperately nothing to do, comparing to some of my classmates had prepared with their major. I also don't understand why I don't have any intention to take some of these noble major such as law, doctor or engineer. Then I start to find any production house, to work as their graphic designer. The HR has seen my portfolio and told me to come tomorrow for the interview test. I came to him and talked about my experience and intention to work there, later he gave me a test, that I failed in all aspects. The test comes in three different software; first from illustrator or Correl draw, that I need to draw modified 12 circles in a different size. second from Adobe Photoshop, that I need to draw the object exactly from the first model, with some elimination of confetti. Third, I need to draw 12 models which look like a cartoon in 360-degree perspectives (one model every 30 degrees). I even could not pass the first test and later I told him to come back later.

My dad kept asking about my choice of university and I have no answer. He later registered my name in one school of business and since I do not really care about it, I just think that business major may work for me. I agreed with his decision and he explains that business field offers a various program and you will find what you love there. Fair enough I thought, I might be land to accounting or marketing, I have not tried it before though even if I do not found it later, the skill is universal and useful to have.

My first semester was spent fairly good, I enjoy the subject that challenged my intellectual to think differently and since this was just a start, my interest in the subject, Economic is in the highest state even though I should study the foreign language there, I felt zero burdens because everyone felt the same thing in their first experience in the new stuff. In the first semester, the topic was not deep enough so learning in the surface area still acceptably fast and the fun you get from your university friend makes you learn faster.

I make many new friends in the first year, from the foreign in my dormitory to the local students. My semester was enjoyable and I consider first to third's semester was the best time of my life. I take a part in university organization, something I never did before of getting involved to student community as a member. I was introduced with organizing an event, which I enjoy most to plan it for students. My senior even told me that I have a unique solution to the problem, not from giving attention to detail but the expression of the idea that just come out from my mouth, that in my further career I can be placed in the position of most people can't work in that capacity.

The bad stuff happens when there is an internal conflict from previous board leader to the newly appointed leader, change the management system toward our school agreement. The previous board member was the founder of this organization and set this organization to be apart from university interception in serving and combining our party with the local student. While the new leader has a different opinion that we could have a better relationship with another faculty in the university and manage events together. This school politic went worse because it holds the new decision upon new activity from student union and this condition may bring the unhealthy relationship with the faculty since we are responsible for the event in the university.

Later my good friend in the union told me to create one event that has no relation with the university and collecting the sponsorship to support the event. We are collected to some of the active members in student union and some of them are agreed to take a part, however, we still stuck with one position that we should have before finding another member, that is a front office position, a public relation that can be responsible for doing a negotiation with the sponsorship, make a continuous touch with student, and can handle stress to the similar questions. We are unable to find any so only we do this part. I found that it is frustrating to deal with talking to people, I got tired easily and once I did the job I got extremely exhausted. I found out that working with people is not my traits.

In the event I found my past passion, to work in the media by designing a flyer and ticket, making a promotional video, and writing about the content of the banner. It could be my cure through my hard time after doing promotion in two months extension. One problem that I don't think art is my talent is because rarely people appreciate with my creation. The moment people did that to me was in my highschool, I reworked some designer logo and picture and they said I was good enough to work in creative department but still deep inside my heart keep telling that it was not my original piece. I have a good analytics in 2D and 3D object and I have told you that I am a daydreamer but putting it into paper is another new level. My drawing was bad and I can be honest that I am not gifted in drawing as my friend that can draw object precisely of what is in his mind, even he learns it by himself.










Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments

Post a Comment