Monthly Expenses in Canada

No Comments


Hello,

I am a bit free today since there is a no office task right now so i have much time for doing a research about the living cost and expenses in Canada. I had a research about living cost in Canada and it seems the price between province not vary much. However, the information still blurry and there is no exact price ranging in between 100 CAD. One article give a range of 400-800 CAD per month which is hard to be true especially this article is for student. Another article says that 600-800 CAD would be enough to live in Canada.

I a bit confused from the data given by the different sources from google so i just take the general data from Numbeo and list what i would be shopping at there. I eliminate the expense from my study or air ticket since that is a different thing of expense, i categorized them as one time expenses. In this living cost, i would be divided into three different categories (Meal plan as restaurant and cook by myself, transportation cost, utilities, and situational cost from events or activities, buying new clothes, in two different scenario.

First scenario would be staying in my relative place and the second scenario i would be independently rent a flat so the rent expenses would be added. All data calculated as monthly and round up to 0.5 to make it easier to count the total. The sums of a variable is a must buy for monthly expenses will be mark in yellow stabilo.

These data are based on 5563 entries in the past 12 months from 777 different contributors with the Last update in February, 2016.
Meal Plan

Restaurants

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant for every weekend 15.00 CAD = 60 CAD
Express Meal, Junk Food in Tim Horton or McD 8.00 CAD = 80 CAD
Water (0.33 liter bottle) 1.50 CAD i try to refill the water at home and take the bottle anywhere just in case i really need to drink and i could not find my bottle, i will pay for it. I budget the water for ten bottles per month = 15 CAD

Markets (Cook by myself)

Milk (regular), (1 liter) 2.25 CAD = 9 CAD
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 3 CAD = 90 CAD
Bread Jam is not include in numbeo but essential for my survival so i search the data from here, i just go with the cheapest one from Great Value brand, that is 2.7 CAD per half kg. I plan to buy 3 bottles per month so it would be 8.1 CAD in a month. I might consider Skippy peanut butter which comes in 750 grams costing 3 CAD per bottle.
Rice (white), (1kg) 3.32 C$ 2.00-5.00 Not recommended to cook rice since it takes time to do the preparation.
Eggs (12) 3.25 CAD = 7.5 CAD
Local Cheese (1kg) 11.63 CAD
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 13.5 CAD
Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat) 14.75 CAD
Apples (1kg) 3.50 CAD
Banana (1kg) 1.6 CAD buy 5 kg so 8 CAD
Oranges (1kg) 3.25 CAD
Tomato (1kg) 3.65 CAD
Potato (1kg) 3 CAD
Onion (1kg) 2.2 CAD
Lettuce (1 head) 2 CAD
Water (1.5 liter bottle) 2 CAD will buy it daily so 60 CAD
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 15 CAD will consider to buy it during winter time

Transportation 

One-way Ticket (Local Transport) 3.00 CAD
Monthly Pass (Regular Price) 141.50 CAD
Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 4.25 CAD
Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 1.75 CAD
Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) 30.00 CAD
Gasoline (1 liter) 1.06 CAD

Utilities (Monthly)

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 200 CAD divided by 4, since the owner of the place has three persons so i would be paying for 50 CAD
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans) 0.3 CAD calling is essential, i do 10 min everyday so around 100 CAD for local communication per month.
Internet (10 Mbps, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 40-72 CAD depend on the provider.

Sports And Leisure

Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 55 CAD
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 13 CAD

I don't need that since i can do yoga in my free time.
Clothing And Shoes

1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar) 60 CAD
1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 45 CAD
1 Pair of Nike Running Shoes (Mid-Range) 100 CAD
1 Pair of Men Leather Business Shoes 125 CAD
Rent Per Month

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 1,500 CAD, ranging 1,200.00-1,750.00
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 1,100 CAD, ranging 900.00-1,400.00

Unexpected Expenses

I put the budget from this expenses as 10% of my monthly wage. For example my earning at there would be 2,000 CAD after tax, i will spent 200 CAD on this budget.


I think that's specific enough to count my expenses and here come the first scenario, how much i should prepare for a month without renting outside. 

Expenses = Meal + Transportation + Utility + Unexpected
                  = (Restaurant + Cook by myself) + Trans + Utility + Unex
                  = (155+182.6) + 141.5 + 150 + 200
                  = 829.1 CAD

Therefore, second scenario would be around 2000 CAD since I need to cover other cost from living independently such as flat reparation and so on. I think this is enough to prepare myself in the first year of working in Canada. Hope my expectation is not went to far and see you next time in my blog.


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments

Post a Comment