Day Thirty Nine: Yoga Festival on Weekend

No Comments


Hi there and welcome back to my blog. I just came back from local yoga festival in the afternoon and spent the time until the sun goes down. Basically, my main purpose of going there is just for having fun, meet with my friend and only want to take one yoga class but because the time I went there, the class had started and you can see the class from the outside, so I don't need to pay the entrance.

I came there with my dad, and he is not busy so he could bring me up to the place. Before getting there, I expect the event is going to be big, such as the past yoga event I ever attended. My dad a bit confused with the direction and since he trusted his phone application too much, we went to the wrong direction but it is Saturday by the way, so there is less traffic.

My first impression of the event is crowded and full of yogic booth but when I stepped in through the side gate, there are fewer people, the stadium only filled with 20 to 30 persons and it only has three stands, and in the center, there are around 15 booths that are selling yoga product and green food.

I look around and the park seems more interested than the event, but I came here to learn about sports massage so I look around for my class, and surprisingly, it already started. The good thing is I could watch the class from the outside and since the instructor were using a microphone, I could hear his voice. It was good until the third pose my dad want to grab some foods and considering that he need to leave at three, I decided to accompany him to find the food.

He was planning to bring me to the place he ever eats before in the past, we walk down the road around 10 minutes and found out that the place had closed already. Later we decide to take any kind of food and the decision fall into a Vietnamese restaurant, we ordered one Pho soup with steamed spring roll. After taking some lunch, He went to his friend event and I continue to the festival.

I saw my gym friend was there taking the class I planned to take it and he was too kind, he gave me one free pass to take the evening class, said that he has enough with the yoga and he want to turn around and have a talk with his friend. The evening class which I took is about Sports Yoga and today his focus is to make everyone execute Utthanasana (standing forward bend) pose correctly.

Before the class start, he asked if any of us has a problem with their bone structure such as Scoliosis or Kifosis, and some of us admit that they never kiss their knee with their head, in more serious cases, some also suffer in Osteoarthritis too. The class focused on the lower body muscle group, the ankle, the knee, and the hips. The teacher said that we could possibly reach the forward bend by lengthening our spine through the stretch of the lower body.

The first pose is same with Surya Namaskar, with a modification of wider hips. Later some of the poses come to the modification of the teacher, for example, the original pose is a chair pose/ Utkattasana, comes in two variations, in heels up with the hand and body alignment such as Ardha Utthanasana and both heel down with a ball of feet up.

Some of the pose I already know what it affect to the muscle group and in a lower body, I experienced some of the Triangle pose (with modification of a ball of feet), the Beam pose (with modification of Ardha), all the pose you can imagine to lengthening the lower body. There is one new stuff I found in the exercise that can help a polio type of legs, by opening their leg facing to opposite direction (instead of standing with both legs heading to the front, this standing pose require left leg heading to the left and same thing with right leg). It was okay for a class although I learn almost nothing, it just feel like an exercise.

In the festival, I meet my friend who taking the same training with me, and she pursues her study in Pre-Natal yoga. We talked with our class and later she went to try a different class. After finished with my class, I decide to get some picture of the park before I went back home with my friend. In his car, we are not talking about the class but many things about his experience of talking to a girl in one of the class. He is interested in learning how to control our life energy and fortunately, the girl whom he talked ever studied in that field.

She learned from her teacher about chakra and the function of it. He shares many thoughts but when I asked him about her contact, unfortunately, he did not ask for it. In his car, we share our experience about the energy flow by helping from our fingers pointed to the forehead and visualize that the flow of breath comes in and get out from our sixth chakra, Ajna.

Later he dropped me near my house and I come back, preparing for my test tomorrow, which I need to present 30 minutes yoga exercise starting from the opening of the class to standing balance pose. Wish me luck for tomorrow and have a nice weekend.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments

Post a Comment